My philosophy around health and diet has always been to add in the good stuff in order to crowd out the bad; one macro nutrient that we could all do with ingesting in a greater quantity is water.
Our brains and heart are composed of 73% water and we need water to keep our skin soft, our joints lubricated and as a shock absorber for our spine. It regulates our body temperature and is part of the chemical reactions that metabolize carbohydrates and protein, then transporting this nutrition to our blood steam to circulate our bodies. The water we drink then helps us to detox our bodies on a daily basis through urination and by helping us to poop. We need to consume between 2 and 3 litres a day!
This does not included tea, coffee, soda, slushies, big gulps or vente lattes all of which INCREASE our need for water.
It can be hard to drink enough water in a day and as good health comes from a plan and is not an accident, it is important to think a little bit about your water consumption on a daily basis. I have five tricks to make sure I am drinking water daily.
1. Start your day with water. Don’t let coffee be your first drink of the day. Take a large glass of water to bed with you at night and drink upon rising. this is often when I am at my most thirsty and it is easiest to drink plain water.
2. Detox each day with lemon water. Before breakfast each morning drink a large glass of warm water with the juice of half a lemon. I sip on lemon water while making school lunches or (confession) checking Facebook and the benefits to the body are manifold.
Lemon water in the morning balances the pH level of the body and reduces joint pain and inflammation as it dissolves uric acid. It helps to flush out toxins and aids digestion by promoting the production of bile and helping to reduce heartburn. Lemon water can help prevent the multiplication of bacteria that cause infection and disease and provides and good dose of vitamin C, potassium, calcium, phosphorous and magnesium. Lemon water strengthens the liver as it flushes through in the morning and promotes the production of liver enzymes and a healthy liver leads to clear and heathy skin.
3. Invest in a cute water bottle and fill and drink it down every day. I have a little bit of Arizona inside of me as I lived there for four years. This is where I learned the value of hydration and a great water bottle. Find a water bottle you love (retail therapy!) and want to be seen with, then use it every day! Simple as.
4. More retail therapy! Find a HERBAL tea you love and finish each day with a refreshing cup of herbal tea in the evening. This ritual can be very relaxing and can lead to a better nights sleep. I love to shop for unusual herbal teas at David’s Tea, in my local health food store, the food section of Winners and in Sunterra. Make it a treat for yourself and part of your self care routine.
5. Find your cute water bottle before going to bed and empty that sucker! Fill up your glass for the morning. Job done!
Legal Disclaimer: The information on this website is not intended to replace medical advice or diagnosis from your family practitioner, specialist or medical doctor. The recipes advice and articles consist of nutritional and lifestyle advice as the sharing of information to support a healthier body.