I am all about baby steps to better health.
Small changes you can make to your daily habits, routine and diet are easier to implement, easier to stick with and which accumulate to result in a healthier you. There is a reason that most radical crash diets fail……..the task you have given yourself and the massive overhaul of your diet are just too overwhelming for your will power to maintain.
The journey to vibrant health is paved with many baby steps and lots of learning as you better get to know yourself!
One simple baby step you can take wither diet is to ‘veg-up’ the family meals that you are making on a daily basis.
Add a bunch of finely chopped kale to your favourite spaghetti sauce recipe, garnish your meal with a full bunch of parsley or add family friendly, veg-rich meals to your weekly rotation.
Including more vegetables in your diet increases the amount of fibre you consume; a ‘nutrient’ in which we are often lacking.
Vegetables of all shape and colour (never be prejudice against the colour, shape or cleanliness of a vegetable folks, give it a scrub and eat it!) add antioxidants, micro-minerals and vitamins A and C.
Dark leafy greens are calcium rich and surprisingly rich in protein. Vegetables feed your micro-biome for a healthy gut flora and protect you from digestive cancers. Fibre helps you to POOP on the daily people…..get some inside you!
Enter African Sweet Potato And Almond Butter Stew!
This recipe for African Sweet Potato and Almond Butter Stew ticks all of my family friendly, veg-heavy-meal boxes.
Packed with 5 (count em!) different fruits and vegetables, warming, anti-inflammatory spices and protein.
I prefer to use almond rather than peanut butter in this dish because of it’s superior nutritional profile of protein, healthy fats and vitamin E, but crushed peanuts would make a delicious crunchy garnish to this dish as would an additional bunch of finely chopped cilantro!
If you want to make this recipe as a vegan option, leave out the ground turkey and use a vegetable stock.
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 large or 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1" fresh ginger grated
- 3 sticks celery finely sliced
- 2 large sweet potatoes or yams diced
- 1lb fresh or frozen green beans
- 1 red pepper finely sliced
- 1 cup chicken broth or vegetable stock
- 1 400ml can chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1lb ground turkey or chicken
- 1/2 cup crushed peanuts (optional)
- 1 bunch cilantro finely chopped (optional)
- Add all of the vegetables and into a pan with the coconut oil and sauté on a medium heat until onion is softened and vegetables are beginning to wilt.
- Add ground turkey or chicken and stir through vegetables until cooked through.
- Add chicken stock and canned tomatoes and simmer until vegetables are softened (about 15 mins).
- Stir in almond butter and warm through stirring the almond butter through the stew.
- Garnish with peanuts and cilantro if desired.
- If using frozen green beans add them with the almond butter at the end of the recipe.
Legal Disclaimer: The information on this website is not intended to replace medical advice or diagnosis from your family practitioner, specialist or medical doctor. The recipes advice and articles consist of nutritional and lifestyle advice as the sharing of information to support a healthier body.