For many years I have was a toast and jam girl at breakfast. Who am I kidding? I have been known to breakfast on second hand, well-gummed toast crusts when my children were very small.
Throw that bread in the toaster and slap something sweet on top to jumpstart the body in the morning. Coffee anyone?
After making the conscious decision to put my health first I was completely delighted when I found this fantastic granola recipe in the wonderful book Clean Food by Terry Walters. Who knew that healthy could taste so good?
The chopped walnuts and slivered almonds add protein to the wholegrain power pack combination of rolled oats and crispy brown rice. Coconut flakes and oil provide a healthy fat to satiate the body and the addition of cloves and cinnamon help to stimulate the metabolism and balance blood sugars.
This is the perfect blend of nutrition to keep energy levels up all morning long and I love that I can make a batch when I have time on my hands and reach for a healthy choice each morning when I don’t.
- 4 cups rolled oats
- 2 cups crispy brown rice cereal
- 1½ cups unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tbsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- ½ cup virgin coconut oil melted
- ½ cup maple syrup
- In a large bowl mix together all the dry ingredients.
- Clean dry hands are perfect for this job and the measuring is simple enough to enlist a child helper.
- Whisk together the wet ingredients and pour over the dry, stirring to coat.
- Spread the mix out evenly on a baking sheet and bake for 60 mins at 250°F.
- Get a jump on weekday breakfasts by making a batch at the weekend.
Legal Disclaimer: The information on this website is not intended to replace medical advice or diagnosis from your family practitioner, specialist or medical doctor. The recipes advice and articles consist of nutritional and lifestyle advice as the sharing of information to support a healthier body.