Happy Thanksgiving if you are in Canada and welcome back to the real world after a delightful long weekend.
We always have a turkey at Thanksgiving and I am a kitchen queen who just loves all the turkey leftovers.
Lean, protein dense and rich in tryptophan the precursor for our happy neurotransmitter serotonin, there are so many delicious meals to be made from leftover turkey.
The meat can be made into a nutritious curry with cauliflower and spinach, a warming Turkey Gumbo with green pepper and cayenne. Switch up your ramen or rice bowl with slices of turkey or try a filling turkey and vegetable soup.
The carcass will be put into the slow cooker with a carrot an onion, garlic, peppercorns and a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar for a 24 hour simmer into a beautiful and nutritious bone broth.
This year, after the excess of Thanksgiving, the wine, the stuffing and buttery mashed potatoes, my palate was craving something light, clean and citrussy.
This Mexican Inspired leftover turkey Soup is the perfect antidote to a plate full of roast turkey and trimmings that leaves you feeling stuffed and lethargic.
The focus of this soup are the vegetables lightly cooked and with a crunch and the large bunch of cleansing cilantro chopped finely, stalks and all.
Cumin adds a warmth to the chicken or turkey bone broth base and the squeeze of a half a lemon lifts the entire bowlful.
Forget croutons or nachos, I topped mine with slices of avocado to boost the healthy fat content of the dish for the benefit of my skin, brain and to keep me feeling fuller for longer.
Light and delicious and rich in protein, vegetables and healthy fat, this is the perfect dish to kick start your clean eating after the excesses of a Thanksgiving feast!
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 small red onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely sliced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 11/2 cups chopped or shredded cooked turkey
- 1 cup red cabbage finely sliced
- 3 medium carrots finely sliced
- 1 litre chicken or turkey bone broth
- sea salt to taste
- 1 large bunch cilantro finely chopped
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 2 large ripe avocado sliced
- Melt the coconut oil gently in a large soup pan
- Add the onion and garlic and cook until just beginning to soften
- Add the ground cumin and stir through the oil, onion and garlic for 1 minute until fragrant
- Add the bone broth and warm to a simmer
- Season the broth with salt to taste
- Add the sliced carrots, sliced red cabbage and turkey and simmer on low for 5-10 minutes
- The carrots and cabbage should still be crisp to bite
- Stir in the lemon juice and finely chopped cilantro and serve immediately so that the flavour is fresh
- Top with freshly cut slices of avocado
Legal Disclaimer: The information on this website is not intended to replace medical advice or diagnosis from your family practitioner, specialist or medical doctor. The recipes advice and articles consist of nutritional and lifestyle advice as the sharing of information to support a healthier body.