When the weather get warmer, I look to the flavours of Mexico for a summer salad that pairs well with steaks and grilled fish and I LOVE to have a couple of good salad recipes in my back pocket so that I have something vibrant and delish to take to a summer barbecue. This salad with a limey, salty punch takes me back to memories of tequila slammers and sunshine and yet contributes so positively to health.
Packed with cabbage, this salad provides a cruciferous vegetable whose sulphur compounds help to prevent cancer as they support phase 2 detoxification in the liver. Whilst both red and green cabbage are rich in vitamin C, the red cabbage is 6-8 times higher in antioxidant phytonutrients such as polyphenols and anthocyins that scour free radicals from the body and give this salad a visual boost with their beautiful purple colour.
Gut friendly diets, rich in cabbage, have been shown to help regulate the population of bacteria that live in our stomach and digestive tract and can inhibit the growth of helicobacter pylori in the stomach reducing the incidence of stomach ulcers.
Supportive to the cardiovascular system, cabbage is an important food for those with high cholesterol levels to include in their diet. Fibrous compounds found in cabbage has been found to bind with cholesterol in the digestive tract and eliminate it from the body causing the liver to draw on cholesterol in the bloodstream to manufacture hormones and bile. As a result blood cholesterol levels fall and your Doctor is happy.
But now I am getting carries away with my cabbage love! Bottom line: I try to make a big bowl of cabbage based salad each weekend and this one often falls into the rotation. This way I know my family enjoys a weekly dose of cruciferous vegetables as we eat it with minute steaks on a week night, or I tuck it into sandwiches with left over roast meat or hormone free bacon for a lunchbox.
Don’t be shy with the lime, salt and chilli in this salad as your mouth should feel a flavourful twang and a hint of heat with each mouthful and please share this recipe on Facebook or Pinterest if you want to see your guests show up with this salad at your summer party!
- 1/2 green cabbage very finely sliced
- 1/2 red cabbage very finely sliced
- 1 red onion very finely sliced
- 1 chilli finely chopped
- 1 bunch cilantro chopped
- 3 limes juiced
- 1tsp sea salt
- Finely slice the red and green cabbages and the onion. I use a blade in my food processor that slices very finely otherwise a mandolin is great.
- Deseed and chop the chilli finely so that it will be distributed evenly throughout the salad.
- Chop the cilantro roughly.
- Put all the vegetables, chilli and herbs into a large bowl and combine.
- Juice the limes and pour over salad.
- Sprinkle salt over the salad.
- Combine with the hands and add more salt if necessary.
- Try this salad with grilled fish in a taco for a nutrient dense, easy midweek meal and get creative with the vegetable content. Consider throwing radishes and carrots into the mix.
Legal Disclaimer: The information on this website is not intended to replace medical advice or diagnosis from your family practitioner, specialist or medical doctor. The recipes advice and articles consist of nutritional and lifestyle advice as the sharing of information to support a healthier body.