Shop bought salad dressings are full of processed vegetable oils, thickeners, sugar and preservatives and in my humble opinion, it is plainly a sin to dump that gloop over beautiful salad greens and vegetables.
Lets’ take a look at the ingredients in Kraft Ranch Dressing just as an example
Ingredients: Canola Oil, Buttermilk (Milk Solids, Salt, Bacterial Culture), Water, Egg Yolks, Vinegar, Sugar, Salt, Garlic Juice, Dried Buttermilk, Natural Flavours, Xanthan Gum(Thickener), Phosphoric Acid (Enhances Tartness), Spices, Yeast Extract (Natural Flavour Enhancer), Dried Parsley, Lemon Juice Concentrate, Silicon Dioxide. (B466A)
Processed canola oil is sold to us as one of the healthier fats. It is oil from the rapeseed plant and we are told that it has a healthier lipid profile that olive oil. It is however one of our most over processed oils as has to be ‘cleaned’ and ‘bleached’ to make it palatable before it is put into a bottle. Check out this How It’s Made movie to learn more about the process.
We also know that the mono saturated fat in olive oil helps to improve our lipid profile and reduce unhealthy low density lipoproteins in the blood. I stick to making my dressings with olive oil, flax oil, which is high in omega 3 fatty acids and which I keep refrigerated to prevent it from becoming rancid, walnut and avocado oils, if I have them in the house.
When you make your own dressing you can forget about shelf-life, texture or separation. just pull the jar from the refrigerator and give it a good shake!
I see dressing as an opportunity to add more good stuff to my diet be it herbs, therapeutic spices, for example turmeric, healthy fats, gut-friendly fermented Miso, garlic and thyroid supporting, mineral rich, Himalayan sea salt.
Below I give a starter recipe booklet of five salad dressings that should see you through the salad days of the hot summer months without having to rely on Xanthin Gum, Silicon Dioxide or Phosphoric Acid on your market fresh salad greens.
- 2 tbsp flax oil
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tbsp turmeric powder
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- Combine all the ingredients together in an old jam jar and shake vigorously
- Try this dressing on a salad of massaged kale with avocado.
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan sea salt
- pepper to taste
- Put all of the ingredients into a jam jar and shake vigorously.
- The perfect dressing for a green been salad.
- 6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 finely chopped red onion
- salt and pepper to taste
- Put all the ingredients into a clean jam jar and shake vigorously.
- Serve over a bed of fresh spring greens.
- 4tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 11/2 tbsp tamari soya sauce
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 inch fresh ginger grated
- Put all of the ingredients into a clean jar jar and shake vigorously.
- Perfect over brown rice in a Buddah bowl.
- 2 lemons juiced
- 8 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 bunch fresh parsley chopped
- Himalayan sea salt and pepper to taste
- Put all of the ingredients in a clean jam jar and shake vigorously
Legal Disclaimer: The information on this website is not intended to replace medical advice or diagnosis from your family practitioner, specialist or medical doctor. The recipes advice and articles consist of nutritional and lifestyle advice as the sharing of information to support a healthier body.