Well summer has taken it’s own sweet time to come to Calgary, but post Stampede it is here with vengeance and the heat is on! I am torn in two as we are enjoying all of our seasonal fruits and vegetables at once and yet I do not want to be in the kitchen cooking up a storm. But the BC cherries are so gorgeous and demand centre stage for the few short weeks they are in season.
Here is a chilled summer parfait, a cinch to make, but packed with nutrition (and cherries); and the bonus. No cooking!
Chia seeds are the secret ingredient. Packed with soluble fibre and omega 3 fatty acids; the good fats we need to balance our lipid profile, and for smooth skin and a healthy brain, these tiny balls of nutrition are soaked in sweetened and cinnamon infused coconut milk, until they plump into a pudding like gel before ripe cherries are added. As with any food that creates a mucilage gel, chia is incredibly healing to the digestive tract and these tiny seeds contain six times as much calcium as milk supporting strong bone growth. Dare we say the words “Super Food”!
Delicious cherries are a joy to eat and they have a super power too. Cherries are an effective remedy for the pain of gout, due to their very high anthocyanin content. They will provide you with a big dose of vitamin C and are very supportive of the cardiovascular system helping to prevent heart attack and stroke.
This is a summer parfait that can be eaten without guilt. A summer treat that is kind to your body…Yes, go ahead! Have dessert for breakfast!
- 6tbsp chia seeds
- 2 cups low fat coconut milk (equal to 1x 400ml BPA free can)
- 2tbsp maple syrup or local runny honey
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup cherries halved and stoned
- 1tbsp coconut flakes
- Put the coconut milk, maple syrup, vanilla extract and cinnamon into a blender.
- Turn blender onto lowest setting and pour in the chia seeds.
- Place the mix into a container and refrigerate for 6 hours or over night.
- Stir the mixture after one hour if you remember or stir vigorously on removing from refrigerator.
- Stir in stoned halved cherries and garnish with coconut flakes.
- Make this parfait in the evening, leave it to refrigerate overnight and breakfast is ready in the morning. Just add cherries.
Legal Disclaimer: The information on this website is not intended to replace medical advice or diagnosis from your family practitioner, specialist or medical doctor. The recipes advice and articles consist of nutritional and lifestyle advice as the sharing of information to support a healthier body.