Here is another dish that I always make from scratch and always make ahead for Christmas Day…….because….real food! and I just love the superior flavour of homemade stuffing.
When you make your own food you have control over what you put into your body. You can go gluten free with your favourite gluten free bread, you can add in the texture of a wholegrain bread or you could use a good quality rye bread for a gluten reduced, chewy and deliciously flavoured stuffing as I have done here.
I also get very excited about including fresh herbs at this time of year. Anti-microbial and anti-viral, herbs such as rosemary, sage and thyme are immunity supporting powerhouses in the winter.
This Christmas I decided to give the family an immune boosting treat and tracked down a stick of Kiwi Gold butter for my stuffing. I am never afraid to eat good butter but Christmas Day seemed to be the perfect day to give the gift of New Zealand sunshine from grass fed cows.
That is the Kiwi Gold on the left. Look at the beautiful yellow colour! This butter is packed with immune system supporting vitamin A and contains a more favourable lipid profile (more conjugated linoleic acid!) than cows that are fed grains during the winter months. It also has the most delicious flavour.
Can you imagine the delicious smells emanating from this group of ingredients. Zesty lemon, the pungent smell of fresh herbs, a lighter note of celery. This is the flavour you deserve to experience in a stuffing! And look at that butter. It is as yellow as the gorgeous lemon.
Place your big old hunk of Kiwi Gold Butter and place it in a large high sided frying pan. Add your chopped celery and an onion along with all your freshly chopped herbs, apart from the parsley, and a pinch of salt. Allow the vegetables and herbs to sauce gently until they are softened through and there is lots of buttery juice left in your pan.
Gently stir the bread into the buttery herbs and vegetables and add your chicken broth to moisten the mixture. Mix the stuffing so that it becomes more of a paste but with chunks of chewy bread crust in places.
Lastly add the finely chopped fresh parsley, lots of freshly ground pepper and more salt to taste.
Beautiful! Packed with health supporting herbs, lotsa veg and a really nutritious vitamin A packed butter, this stuffing is full of dense nutrition and not just empty Christmas calories.
- 4 sticks celery finely sliced
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 5 slices Rye bread cubed
- 4oz Kiwi Gold butter
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 large handful fresh rosemary, thyme and sage finely chopped
- 1 lemon zested
- 1 bunch parsley finely chopped
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Gently sweat the celery, onion, sage, rosemary and thyme in the butter with a teaspoon of salt until the vegetables and herbs are softened
- Add the lemon zest, finely chopped parsley, pepper and the cubed bread with 1/2 cup of chicken broth
- Gently combine the stuffing to the consistency that you desire.
- Taste and add more salt and pepper if required
- Press the stuffing into a heat safe dish to reheat on Christmas Day
- I heat my stuffing for 10-15 minutes in a hot oven on Christmas Day util it is warmed through and beginning to crisper around the edges.
Legal Disclaimer: The information on this website is not intended to replace medical advice or diagnosis from your family practitioner, specialist or medical doctor. The recipes advice and articles consist of nutritional and lifestyle advice as the sharing of information to support a healthier body.