Here is a fabulous recipe for the summer, recommended by a devoted reader of the blog and newsletter subscriber, my cousin Dave who lives so far away in Adelaide, Australia. (Hi Dave!) It is adapted from a recipe by one of my favourite cooks, Nigel Slater who really understands the simplicity of excellent ingredients, the seasons and the kitchen garden.
Chicken thighs have been simply roasted with the best of the summer seasonal produce, zucchini, tomatoes and peppers in good olive oil. As a did not have the preserved lemons specified in the original recipe I roasted a halved organic lemon with the other vegetables to provide the twist that adds flavour to the juices which form the delicious sauce. Further flavour is added by stirring fresh chopped mint into the pan juices just before serving.
I love these one pan, flavourful dishes for a busy week night when I ‘don’t have time to cook’. After 10 minutes of preparation the dish takes care of itself in the oven and as I often cook my grains for the week on the weekend, I am also ahead of the game with the side!
This dish would be great over pasta, quinoa or rice which is how my family enjoyed it …..I however went super low carb and served the chicken vegetables with their juices over “Cauliflower Rice”. This is my third attempt at faking rice with cauliflower and whilst I know it is not going to taste the same this method gave me a base for my food that is not quite rice but is tasty and delicious, an excellent substitute for grains if you are on a detox and something I would serve again!
This is definitely a recipe to pull out of the hat when you are trying to drop a few pounds or totally detox from all grains in an elimination diet whilst not wanting to feel at all hungry or deprived of food.
- 4 long thin Romano peppers
- 2 large zucchini
- 1 punnet 1/12 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1 organic lemon
- 4 cloves garlic
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- large handful fresh mint chopped
- 1/2 cauliflower
- For The Chicken
- Slice 4 long, thin romano peppers in half lengthways, remove any seeds, then cut each half into two short lengths. Slice the zucchini into large diagonal wedges about 2" long then put all of them in a roasting tin. Add 11/2 cups of medium-sized or cherry tomatoes, left whole.
- Peel 4 cloves of garlic, flatten them with a knife and add them to the roasting tin. Add a whole lemon halved. Place 6 plump chicken thighs, skin up, among the peppers, pour over 6 tbsp of olive oil and season well with salt and black pepper.
- Bake at 350F for 50-60 minutes until the chicken is golden brown and crisp and the peppers are soft.
- For The Cauliflower Rice
- Remove the florets from the stalk of 1/2 a cauliflower and pulse in the food processor or grate to a rice like consistency.
- Place the cauliflower in a dry frying pan and season liberally with salt and pepper.
- Dry fry the cauliflower until it is toasted and has firmed to a more solid rice like texture.
- Serve the 'rice', chicken, tomatoes and peppers on to plates, then chop a large handful of mint leaves and stir them into the juices in the roasting tin. Spoon the juices over the chicken and peppers and serve.
Legal Disclaimer: The information on this website is not intended to replace medical advice or diagnosis from your family practitioner, specialist or medical doctor. The recipes advice and articles consist of nutritional and lifestyle advice as the sharing of information to support a healthier body.