Even in the depths of winter I try and put a fresh and delicious raw salad on the table as an antidote to the heavy comfort food choices we tend to make when the weather gets cold and miserable.
I cannot say enough good things about this quick and easy salad! This cleansing little cucumber based plate is so refreshing on the palate and is also packed with nutrition.
Beta carotene, the precursor to vitamin A and a powerful antioxidant, present in the orange colouring of the raw carrot and a complex spectrum of bioavailable minerals including iodine, iron, magnesium and copper is present in the Wakame seaweed.
Please don’t be afraid of preparing seaweed for a salad. It is a wonderful nutritionally dense food to include in your diet. It is very supportive of the thyroid gland, which is the master gland for metabolism. It has the mineral density of the ocean from where it is harvested, good for strong bones, and due to it’s aliginate content has the added benefits of soothing the digestive tract and aiding the elimination of toxins from the bowel.
If I was going to bring up the word detox then is a perfect example of the kind of food that would fit into a detox plan….and it is delicious.
After making this salad on a couple of occasions, I felt it could only be improved by the addition of vitamin K rich cilantro and calcium rich sesame seeds. Good just got better!
If you own a vegetable spirallizer you could have a whole lot of fun with this salad and it would look so pretty. I grated my cucumber and carrot on the wide slash side of my box grated to create long slithers. A mandolin would do the job better but I always worry about slicing my fingers!
I buy Wakame seaweed at the health food store but I have also found it in both regular and Chinese grocery stores.
Please give this salad a try as a simple lunch or the side dish to a heavier meal. Let me know if it knocked your socks off too!
- For the salad
- 1 large cucumber sliced, grated or spirallized
- 2 large carrots thinly sliced, grated or spirallized
- 1/2 ounce Wakame seaweed. (I just soaked as many pieces as I felt I wanted to eat)
- 1 large handful cilantro roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds to garnish
- For the dressing
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tbsp tamari soy sauce
- 3 tbsp seasoned rice vinegar
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- Take the Wakame seaweed and put it to soak for 10 minutes in a bowl of filtered water.
- Meanwhile measure the dressing ingredients into a recycled jam jar and shake to combine.
- Grate, thinly slice or spirallize the cucumber and carrot and place in a shallow bowl.
- Combine with the roughly chopped cilantro.
- Squeeze as much water as possible out of the seaweed and pat dry in a tea towel.
- Using scissors snip the seaweed into slithers over the top of the salad.
- Pour on the dressing and combine using bare hands or salad servers.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and enjoy!
Legal Disclaimer: The information on this website is not intended to replace medical advice or diagnosis from your family practitioner, specialist or medical doctor. The recipes advice and articles consist of nutritional and lifestyle advice as the sharing of information to support a healthier body.