Do you have mid-week madness like me? This week has been jam packed with rehearsals and performances as the kids extra-curricular activities come to a welcome but showy close.
This leaves us with barely any time to eat at night and I find myself feeling panicky about getting good food on the table or defeatist, which is the path to the drive-through! Thank all things nutritious for Stir Fried Rice!
I have professed my love for my rice cooker in other posts, but if there is one thing I do love it is to get that hard working little appliance going at breakfast. If I can leave the house for my day knowing that I have jumped the rush and the rice is cooked for supper, I am a happy woman.
For this recipe I used Wild Oregon Shrimp purchased from Orca Fish Company in Kingsland Farmers Market, Calgary. Orca have the biggest range of sustainable fish sources that I can find in these parts….I guess we are in the middle of the Prairie!
I use this recipe in swift rotation when time get’s tight and I have thrown in left-over chicken, finely chopped roast beef slices and just four eggs rather than two if the cupboards are bare. It is a fast and flavourful way to get the family quickly eating a good range of vegetables, a wholesome grain and a dollop of protein…..aaand into Mom’s Taxi for the rest of the evening! Enjoy!
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 1 pack green beans, topped and halved
- 2 ribs celery chopped
- 3 medium carrots cut on the diagonal
- 1 red pepper sliced
- 1/4 green cabbage thinly sliced
- 1/2lb Oregon Wild Shrimp
- 2 eggs
- 2tbsp grape seed or avocado oil
- 2tsp Five Spice Powder
- 4 green onions finely chopped
- 1 handful cilantro chopped
- Let' start at 7:00am when I put 2 cups brown rice into the rice cooker, cover it about an inch over with water and plug in the machine. I pull the plug from the socket before I leave the house, knowing there is cooked rice waiting for me on my return.
- When rush hour begins: Finely chop all the vegetables
- Beat the eggs and put on one side
- Heat the oil in a wok or very large skillet
- Add all the vegetables apart from the green onion and cilantro and push around the wok until softened. About 3 mins.
- Add 2 tbsp of water if the vegetables are catching.
- Add the Five Spice Powder and combine into vegetables.
- Push the vegetables to one side and pour in the eggs.
- Scramble the eggs in the pan and then combine into the vegetables.
- Toss in the shrimp.
- Top with green onions and cilantro and serve.
Legal Disclaimer: The information on this website is not intended to replace medical advice or diagnosis from your family practitioner, specialist or medical doctor. The recipes advice and articles consist of nutritional and lifestyle advice as the sharing of information to support a healthier body.