It is Meat Free Monday and this is a great dish to confidently put on the table knowing you will not have to hear the refrain ‘where’s the beef’!
Sweet potatoes with their gorgeous orange hue are packed with beta carotene, the precursor to vitamin A which supports healthy eyes, healthy tissues, such as great looking skin and gums and also boosts immunity.
I love swiss chard as much as my other leafy-green-love, kale, for boosting magnesium in my diet.
Magnesium is the relaxation mineral and soothes tired muscles, shoulder tension and that tight feeling that puts frown lines on your forehead. Magnesium promotes sleep, helps to lower blood pressure and can calm anxiety. As it is so beneficial to your cardiovascular system, increasing foods that contain magnesium in the diet has been linked to a reduction in hot flashes and other cardiovascular menopausal symptoms. I recommend including a green smoothie, a large green salad or leafy green based dish such as this Pasta Rotolo into your diet on a daily basis.
I adapted this recipe from Jamie Oliver to use ingredients I already had in the house and helpfully finished off a half jar of leftover organic pasta sauce in the process. I use this brand for quick pasta suppers and as a pizza sauce on homemade spelt pizza dough.
This dish can be prepared ahead and freezes week but who cares if you have not got it together for meat free Monday. Just do your body a favour and make it meat free one or two other nights of the week.
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large red onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1/2 Jar organic pasta sauce
- 1 large sweet potato diced
- 1 large bunch of swiss chard finely chopped
- 1tsp grated nutmeg
- 6-8 sheets lasagne pasta
- 1/2 cup feta or other salty goats cheese
- 1/4 cup parmesan other hard salty cheese
- Heat the oven to 375F
- Saute the diced onion in the olive oil in a skillet with a lid until the onion is transparent, then add garlic and sauté for a further 2 minutes.
- Add in diced sweet potato, nutmeg and 1/2 jar of pasta sauce.
- Add a splash of water to the empty jar swirl it around and add to sautéing vegetables.
- Put the lid onto the skillet and allow vegetables to steam/saute until the sweet potato has softened. Add a little more water if it is catching.
- Add the finely chopped Swiss chard and wilt into the vegetable/tomato base for 1 minute
- Remove from the heat and stir in the feta cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile bring a large pan of boiling water to the boil and cook the lasagne sheets according to the packet, removing them to a board using tongs when they are cooked.
- Put a tablespoon of tomato/sweet potato/swiss chard mix onto one end of each sheet of lasagne and roll up from that end.
- Place the rolls vertically in an oven proof dish.
- Spread any left over filling mix over the rolls (the messier the better!) and sprinkle with parmesan.
- Bake in the oven for 20 mins and serve piping hot.
- These same ingredients would make a fabulous vegetarian lasagne.
Legal Disclaimer: The information on this website is not intended to replace medical advice or diagnosis from your family practitioner, specialist or medical doctor. The recipes advice and articles consist of nutritional and lifestyle advice as the sharing of information to support a healthier body.