I never stop looking for simple, healthy and quick weekday suppers that ease the burden of endless family food production and this soup is perfect!
It feels so good to be chopping up a whole cauliflower, 2 sharp apples, 2 stalks of celery, an onion, a clove of garlic, and a bunch of parsley knowing that the family will be eating all of that veg! Got to be at least three of your ‘5 a day’! I gently sweated the onion, garlic and celery in a tablespoon of butter until they were softened, before adding the cauliflower and chopped apple with 1/2 cup of water and a lid to the pan to steam cook this flavoursome winter vegetable with the fruit.
Cauliflower is the plain cousin of the cruciferous vegetable family, that are famed for providing fibre to our diet and for their cancer fighting properties, due to their high sulphur content (you know that smell from over cooked cabbage on mushy Brussels sprouts)
After about 10 minutes of steaming I remove the lid to let the water evaporate before adding 5 cups of home made chicken bone broth. Packed full of minerals to build strong bones, collagen and chondroitin for repair of joints and youthful, supple skin, bone broth has been demonstrated in clinical trails to boost immunity and so is the perfect for these shorter, darker days in the busy run up to Christmas when it is easy for immunity to be compromised.
The luxe flavour of this soup comes from the addition of a whole Herb Boursin Cheese. Creamy and rich the cheese adds a silky texture and a deep cheesy flavour that my family love….the spoonful of sugar that helps the medicine go down…..as it were!
I am a huge fan of the nutritional power of herbs and by adding a whole bunch of finely chopped parsley not only do I elevate the flavours but I boost the vitamin C and iron content of the whole dish.
Nutrition nerd moment ahoy! Blood strengthening iron is best absorbed from our food in the presence of vitamin C….nature packages nutrition perfectly in whole foods that way.
It was Friday night after a loooong week, so I served this soup with slices of hot, buttered, sprouted toast and a glass of white wine. Perfect easy, comfort food.
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 stalks celery sliced finely
- 1 cauliflower chopped into small florets (include diced stalk)
- 2 small tart apples finely chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 herb Boursin cheese
- 1 bunch parsley finely chopped
- Melt the butter in a pan.
- Add the finely chopped onion and garlic and celery and cook gently until soft.
- Add the chopped cauliflower and apple and 1/2 cup water
- Put lid on pan and steam cauliflower for 10 minutes until soft
- Remove lid and allow excess water to evaporate
- Add 5 cups of home made chicken broth
- Heat broth and vegetables to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes
- Blend soup in the pan using a hand held blender until smooth
- Add Boursin cheese and reheat soup to a simmer, stirring all the time.
- Once soup is ready to serve add whole bunch of freshly chopped parsley and stir through soup.
- Serve with hot buttered sprouted bread toast for a simple supper
Legal Disclaimer: The information on this website is not intended to replace medical advice or diagnosis from your family practitioner, specialist or medical doctor. The recipes advice and articles consist of nutritional and lifestyle advice as the sharing of information to support a healthier body.