Almost every client I have helped since graduating my diploma in Natural Nutrition two years ago has come to me with some symptoms of Leaky Gut Syndrome within the mix of their unique health issues. It appears to me that if you live in the 21st century and regularly eat the Standard American Diet or SAD diet, by the time you hit your 40’s you will have some level of damage to the gut lining that slowly begins to erode your vibrant health as digestion and absorption of your everyday nutritional intake becomes impaired due to a Leaky Gut.
Try these symptoms on for size and let me know if this is you!
1. I feel bloated and gassy after eating and sometimes I feel so embarrassed that my post lunch bloat makes me look pregnant!
2. I feel tired after I have eaten and suffer this kind of sleepy-slump after lunch that just makes me want to curl up and nap in the corner of my office.
3. I feel like food allergies are creeping up on me. I know I feel better if I do not eat carbs and gluten but now I feel like it is dairy making me gassy and/or giving me diarrhoea and suddenly onions and garlic are a problem with heartburn and obnoxious gas. Whaat! I just cut these foods out of my diet. I am always good with rice!
4. I feel as though my thinking has gone completely foggy and fuzzy. I am too young to have that ‘walk-into-a-room-and-you-don’t-know-what-for’ thing and then I keep dropping the ball and missing appointments and meetings. Help!
5. I worry about my immune system. Honestly I just had one long cold all winter, I need one antibiotic prescription after another and I am sick to death of going to the doctor with thrush. And now I have this rash on my arms…….. what the heck.
If you can relate to one or more of these symptoms then chances are you have some sort of damage to the lining of your digestive tract.
How does this happen? How do we get in this situation in the first place?
Well if I tell you that the causes of Leaky Gut Syndrome include, age, stress, alcohol consumption, too much sugar in the diet, harsh prescription and over the counter drugs, caffeine consumption, overuse of antibiotics, food additives in the diet and food allergies then I think we can all check one or two of the causes off from our ‘hey that is the story of my life’ list.
So what do we mean by Leaky Gut Syndrome?
Allow me to get a little nutrition nerdy all over you here……..indulge me…I love this stuff 🙂
Your digestive tract is a hollow tube that travels from your mouth to your anus and is lined with epithelial cells similar to your skin. Epithelial cells are special in that they are joined together with what are called ‘tight junctions’ which do not allow large particles to pass through. Leaky gut arises when these cells have become irritated and inflamed over time, with added stress and a poor diet and as they swell and distort with inflammation, the tight junctions of the digestive tract are broken and the lining of your gut becomes porous and perforated.
Now,they say a picture is worth a thousand words so I am just going to throw this image in here:
You can see that this breakdown in the healthy tight junctions will allow large particles of undigested food, stray bacteria, and toxins to be absorbed into the bloodstream and this is where the diverse symptoms of allergies, bloating, foggy thinking and gas all begin to kick in. It is the start of a slippery slope that can lead to impaired immunity, dental issues and depression as micro-minerals, healthy fats and proteins can also be poorly digested and absorbed.
At last, the GOOD NEWS is that any Holistic Nutritionist worth her diploma will be able to advise you of a personalized diet plan that will “Heal and Seal’ your gut lining. I like to start with supplements that can rapidly heal the digestive tract and provide swift relief to my clients. I also produce a diet plan that includes digestion supporting and healing foods and recipes, that are easy to make and my clients love, so that my clients are eating to heal themselves and grow more and more vibrant in their health over time.
AND….. this is why I love my job so much; all of the clients that I have helped to ‘heal and seal’ a Leaky Gut have stated how much happier they feel. My experience is that the brain and nervous system is one of the first body systems to reflect symptoms of Leaky Gut Syndrome and my clients had been feeling sad, anxious and low as their new normal. They are completely delighted to find themselves unexpectedly in a happier state of mind. I love this.
So if you recognize yourself as having issues with Leaky Gut Syndrome, you have had enough and you are ready to make changes that will protect your future vibrant health by promoting good digestion and a super healthy gut lining; drop me an email, message me or call so we can have a productive 15 minute chat about how I can help you. Honestly, as a nutrition nerd, your bloating and gas would actually make my day!
Legal Disclaimer: The information on this website is not intended to replace medical advice or diagnosis from your family practitioner, specialist or medical doctor. The recipes advice and articles consist of nutritional and lifestyle advice as the sharing of information to support a healthier body.