This is a simple dish that I come back to again and again when I am in a pinch for both time and inspiration. It is about taking a very simple everyday dish such as a grilled cheese sandwich and pumping up the nutrition. I like to use sprouted bread, as the nutrition from the grain is made more available to the body through the germinating process and I keep a good local goats cheese in the refrigerator.
Carbs are reduced, by making the sandwich open. I pile on healthy fats, in the form of inflammation reducing avocado and vitamin C and fibre in a beautiful ripe tomato. A sprinkle of sea salt boosts the flavour and mineral content and your breakfast/lunch/post yoga snack is ready. Kid friendly and within the grasp of a teen to make this snack can wear a multitude of hats. Gluten free? Use a slice of your favourite gluten free loaf or try a gluten free frozen waffle.
- 1 slice good sprouted bread
- 2oz local goats cheese
- ½ avocado
- 3 slices ripe tomato
- sea salt and ground pepper
- Slice cheese onto bread and broil until bubbling on high.
- Top with sliced avocado and fresh tomato.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Think about adding sprouted sunflower seeds or alfalfa for greater nutrition.
- Try cheese and mango slices for a sweet and savoury dish or toasted cheese topped with coleslaw.
- The flavour opportunities are endless!
Legal Disclaimer: The information on this website is not intended to replace medical advice or diagnosis from your family practitioner, specialist or medical doctor. The recipes advice and articles consist of nutritional and lifestyle advice as the sharing of information to support a healthier body.